Thursday 12 November 2009

Daydreams Part 1


BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS... because they believe in you.

This applies to Angels, dieties, wishes, your abilities and pretty much anything you can think of.
Spirit comes to us only when we are ready to understand and be guided by them; but some people may never me able to connect so closely with Spirit.
In a world where all types of information is available on the internet, TV, in books and newspapers etc... the ability to talk to spirit and "whisper" to ghosts is glamourised. With urban legends such as vampires, werewolves and demons being taken on by Hollywood Directors is it any wonder that many are sceptical of those with genuine powers.
Most people will not believe things unless they see them with their own eyes. Conclusive proof for the scientist in us all is often needed before we can even consider changing our lifelong beliefs. Of course we can not fail to be heavily influenced by our parents and guardians and the way in which we are raised. We build our belief systems around those of our immediete families.

Conformity for the non-Conformist
My own parents are non-believers, choosing the route of no religion rather than conforming to a single way of thinking. As a result I never spoke to them, or anyone in my family about my spiritual beliefs and ideas. In my pre-teen years I attended a few youth groups that were actually based around religious development. Discussions and activities centred around passages of scripture and some lessons were given to explore biblical stories in-depth.
I was about ten when I first started to form my own ideas about religion, with the help of the group leaders; my ideals were forming well until one day I was hit by an emotional blow that destroyed my faith in anything for a long time.
One summer evening I sat at the dining room table drawing pictures with my younger sister, when the phone rang. My mum answered and listened briefly before taking the phone into the hallway and shutting the dining room door behind her. I thought nothing of it, but a while later I was aware of my parents having a hushed conversation in the kitchen. As they spoke they glanced every now and then at my sister and I. A few days later they came to us and explained that my grandmothers dog, a West Highland White Terrier called Skip, had been poorly for some time and the vet had considered it kinder to put him to sleep so that he would not hurt any more.
Although they explained things very well and I, at least, understood why this had happened I was very upset. My mother has an allergy to dog and cat fur so we had never been allowed pets as youngsters, so my sister and I had grown extremely fond of the little dog. My sister idolised him and he was always happy to see us. After my initial grief I remembered something I had seen on TV and felt comforted. I never spoke about it to my family, but instead waited for the next youth group meeting.
A few days later i attended the group as usual and sat through the usual lessons and stories, then when everyone went off into their individual activity groups I stayed behind to speak to the groups leader. I spoke openly about the loss that I felt, feeling certain that she would confirm my thoughts and comfort me a little. "I'm very sorry dear" I remember her saying. And I replied "it's ok. All dogs go to Heaven so I will see him again oneday." I will never forget the response she gave.
"That's not true. Dogs don't have souls." And that was it, end of discussion. She walked away from me offering no compassion,, no explanation, nothing! She had merely given me the cold, hard facts as she had been taught.
I knew that her role as the leader of a religious development she was only relaying her own beliefs, but I wasn't impressed by her insensitive nature and felt even more confused and alone than I was before. Needless to say I never went back to that group and took the pledge to form my own beliefs from that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment