Wednesday 25 November 2009

Cluttered Minds & Distracted Thoughts

How great would it be if we all had tiny little filing cabinets in our heads to help us tidy and organise our thoughts. Neatly labelled drawers to help us compartmentalise our daily lives, alongside stray memories, hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future.

Oh to be a child again! I often find myself watching my daughter play and feel an element of envy. She has no need to worry about ten different things at once; children are allowed to be scattered and move from one thing to another without consequence. They certainly don't need to worry about going back to tasks later because they didn't havge time to finish it, or because they forgot some tiny but vital detail.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that there have been nemerous ocassions when I have gotten up from my seat to do something, walked purposefully into another room and then.... forgotten entirely what it was that I wanted.

In modern society the motto is; rush, rush, rush. Like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland we are always late for something; never slowing down. Imagine what might happen if you stopped, just for one minute.

Try it now:

* Try to find a quiet place where you won't be disturbed, and then sit comfortably either on the floor or if you can't then sit in a chair.

* Close your eyes and take a deep cleansing breath. Imagine you are breathing new life into your body!

* Relax in this state for a few minutes concentrating on your breathing.

* When all your muscles feel revitalised and relaxed, place your hands over your eyes and when you feel ready open your eyes and move your hands away.

* Place your hands in your lap and bring your awareness back to your surroundings. What do you notice about the world that you didn't see before? Does the room you are in seem different?

** With practice you might find the results amazing and varied. **

In the past few years my life has been through many changes, not all of them good; but they have all taught me something important. Mother Naturehas given me some brilliant lessons that have helped me put my lifeb back in balance. One day in particular, I was beckoned outside by Mother Earth into the glorious sunshine; once outside she told me to simply "breathe deeply". As I did I was instantly rejuvinated by the air that filled my lungs; the thoughts inside my head slowed down and were immedietely replaced by light and love and happy freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment